The black bean is our first official winner of the Veggie of the Week Award! We are excited to introduce this new weekly award, given out to the veggie, fruit, or ingredient that we think deserves some lovin’ and attention due to its awesomeness. It’s a quick and easy way to learn some fun facts, recipes, and health benefits you may otherwise never have known (the horror!).
And the winner is…
- Black beans! Because once you go black, you’ll never go back.
What’s its deal?
- Small little black bean that came about over 7,000 years ago
- Originally domesticated in South and Central America
- Available in almost every grocery store either dried, canned, or both
Did you know?
- You can freeze black beans for up to 6 months (so go ahead, buy in bulk!)
- The Latin population consumes more beans than any other culture
- When combined with corn and a whole grain, you are technically eating a “complete” protein (score!)
Top 3 health benefits of eating Black Beans…
- They are an AWESOME source of fiber and protein
- Eating beans regularly has been tied to having a longer, healthier life
- Beans, in general, help you feel fuller long, helping you to maintain or lose weight (in a healthy way)
Full course Black Bean meal…